THE CENTER FOR LESBIAN AND QUEER WOMEN AND GIRLS (KOFI HOUSE)
The Center for Lesbian and Queer Women and Girls (CLQ) takes the needs and desires of every young Lesbian/Queer person seriously so that we can provide programs and activities that create healthy, smart, strong and active girls and women!
We just got started this past spring/summer with CLQ activities that have included: meet and greets, focus groups, surveys and collaborating with partners in getting the word out to the community to let folks people know how we are expanding culturally at the Ruth Ellis Center and we are excited to announce CLQ's soft opening in October 2019 with limited primary/behavioral health and supportive services.
The grand opening is scheduled January 2020!!!
The CLQ will provide advocacy/outreach and case management services through an equity lens to empower girls and young women between 13-30. In creating the CLQ, we hope to improve in providing the emotional support and safety in the expressions of same gender loving women and girls. It is anticipated that the CLQ will have some of level of services 5 days a week!
The types of services we are planning to provide will focus on the following 5 areas in some combination to support the health and well-being of Lesbian and Queer Women and Girls:
1. Education: After school tutoring, internships, preparing for college and/or vocational training support, etc.
2. Workforce Development: Life skills, career exploration, leadership pipeline for women and girls
3. Health and Wellness: Integrated primary/behavioral health (including substance abuse prevention and education, intimate partner violence prevention/intervention, reproductive care, sexual health, and honoring femme/masculine and non-binary identity expressions of women/girls thru support groups
4. Family/parenting support and inter-generational mentoring
5. Juvenile Justice and Foster Care Support services